There are multiple causes of headaches and just as many types. The treatment for headache can vary depending on the cause, so it is important to receive a thorough investigation and accurate diagnosis from a qualified health professional. Your osteopath can determine the type of headache you may have and, in most cases, can help prevent, treat and manage headache, or refer you for further investigation and treatment when required.
Types of Headache
Below is a list of some of the more common types/causes of headaches. Information sheets about some of these specific headaches are also available.
- Eye Strain Headache
- Tension Headache
- Viral infection – cold/flu
- Dehydration and hangover
- Migraine – related to blood vessels in the head
- Sinus headache – blocked or inflamed nasal passages
- Allergies and allergic reactions
- Medication side effects
- Cervicogenic – due to structures in the head/neck.
- Neuralgia – irritation or inflammation of nerves
- Pressure on the brain – clots, bleeding or tumours
- Serious infection